Search This Blog

Monday, May 20, 2019

Evaluation of Promotional Video

I feel as though my promotional video was definitely lacking. Out of all the short films I made this year, this was definitely my least favourite and due to that, ended up being my worst. It isn't really a valid excuse but as I had no personal interest in the topic, I struggled to produce a piece of work that was really a reflection of my creative abilities. Not only this, but being hospitalised forced me to put off working for my client that I was passionate about (record shop).  Excuses aside, here is my evaluation of my promotional video. Had I remained able to capture footage of the record store, and present the footage in the form of a short commercial like I initially planned, my final piece would have been a lot better.
Organisation during this topic was tough. I was initially planning quite far ahead, giving myself a good amount of time to prepare my footage and editing if in case something went wrong. But, the one time I manage to go out of my way to organise myself, I fall ill during the time I was spending organising and the time I was ill managed to also fall into the time I was meant to be meeting with my client and filming.
My client was happy with the video. I'm unsure to what extent exactly, or why, but he said it was to his needs. According to him, the music was good, the cuts were good but the shaky camera was bad. I could've improved this by actually being physically there when the filming took place. I would have been able to get lots more footage to choose from, rather than stick to the footage that my work partner was able to get. I was able to stabilize the footage, but it isn't really the same as having a steady camera hand. It would be unfair for me to criticise my partner for his unsteady hands, but it did hinder the quality of my video a bit. If I had the time, and was physically able to, I would have gone to the club myself with a tripod to get some shots.
I was happy with my song choice. It took me a while to find something that I thought would be appropriate for the age range targeted, but I found some royalty free music in the end. I wanted to go for the classic rock sound, and I think I was able to do exactly that. Speaking of music, my editing to the beat was quite good also, specifically the close up shot of the pool table.


No comments:

Post a Comment