The first piece of research I conducted was a very short, brief questionnaire on www.surveymonkey.com
I chose to do a short, brief survey because I felt like a quantitative form of data would be easier to analyse in the end. It was also easily accessible to a larger group of people as it wasn't a survey asking people to listen to three 5 minute long songs and asking for their in-depth opinion about them. Due to this, I was able to get a fair few responses. Though not as in-depth as some, I still gained a lot of response to work with.
I provided a link on my social media accounts, of which don't have the biggest outreach because my social medias are all private, and received 31 responses which I think is a good amount. Due to the only people I asked being the people from my social media, it would imply that my demographic is mainly alternative music fans bar maybe two or three people who took it. It also means that the main age demographic is 17-20 year olds, aside from one person. Due to this, it could be argued that my survey isn't an accurate representation of a mainstream audience - which is completely right, however I wouldn't want my music video to appeal to a passive, mainstream audience.
The first question I asked was; What genre of music do you prefer?
My findings for this question were that more people prefer classic rock suck as The Beatles and Led Zeppelin, etc. In second place was rap music. These two were no surprise as these were the most popular genres of music out of the five. The purpose of me asking this question was to help me understand what kind of song for a music video my audience would prefer.
The second question I asked was; What gender do you identify as?
Though this question doesn't necessarily host any direct relevancy to the music, I felt that it would be relevant in understanding my outreach and the demographic of people I am focussing on. And, as no surprise, music remains male dominated for both fans and creators.
The third question I asked was ; What kind of music video do you prefer?
This question was incredibly relevant to my research, as I was torn between making a performance-based music video with someone acting as the artists chosen or the projector/artsy/visual style music video. I included the option of story-based to allow people to vote for it as I knew that it would be something people would prefer. Even still, more people preferred the option I originally intended to go for anyway, thus further encouraging me to pursue my original idea.
My fourth question was ; Which decade do you feel had the best music?
I asked this question because it would help me narrow down what song to use and it would also help me narrow down what era's music videos to analyse. Though 80s had the strongest outcome, I chose to mainly analyse music videos from the 90s and 2000s. This is due to these music videos being easier to recreate (as it is the most recent eras out of the ones available) and I started the analysis before beginning my research.
My fifth question was ; Do you watch music videos?
I asked this question to allow me to understand if music videos are actually still relevant in today's society. Music videos are something I personally thought were outdated as channels like MTV and 4music are hardly relevant today, and MTV doesn't even show music videos as much as they used to. I also thought because of the rise in streaming platforms, music has become a lot easier to listen to and the need for music videos was no longer a thing. However, I was wrong, and it is proven by my findings above. People still watch music videos on youtube.
The sixth question I asked was ; Does the quality of music video impact whether or not you like the song?
I asked this question to gain a little bit more insight onto what people thing about music videos and what they want to see. My results suggest that music videos are still relevant, but just not as important. Music videos act as a nice addition to a song as opposed to being the main reason why someone would like it. Music videos have a far more promotional purpose.
The seventh question I asked was ; Do you prefer it when a song has a special meaning to you or would you rather they be more of a story being told by the artist about their lives?
I found from this question that my music video should remain not heavily narrative based as it could be. It won't allow my audience to be able relate to them and develop a meaning specific to themselves, which is what people seem to prefer from my findings.
The eighth question I asked was ; Out of the two, which style of music video do you prefer?
Asking this question allowed me to understand whether or not I would create a performance based music video or a more artistic video. I didn't provide the option for a narrative based video because I knew I wouldn't want to do that.
The ninth question I asked was ; Which song do you prefer?
Abundantly, this question would help me to decide out of the three which song to focus on. And, by a very very tiny gap, The Beatles won, and due to this, my music video will be focussed on them.









No comments:
Post a Comment