Search This Blog

Thursday, March 21, 2019

Comments I received in my focus group

After completing the editing for the music video I shot in the studio, I gathered a group of my peers that I consider to also be 'music nerds'. I chose four of my friends, all in which are arts students at Russell group universities themselves, so I wanted their educated opinion on the art I created.
I chose for my arts students friends to give me feedback because I knew they'd understand the work a lot more because they will have studied something similar, or even more outrageous pieces, before. They already have knowledge and experience with films like these. Though it may sound elitist and pretentious, I didn't choose a passive, relaxed audience to give me feedback. This is mainly because they weren't my target audience anyway.
My demographic was split between male and female and all four were of similar ages. This is because the main target audience for alternative (good) music is young adults/adults and although music is male dominated, women make up a significant amount of the fanbases, despite not many actually being musicians.
I received a variety of responses:
Jenny W (20 - student at the University of Birmingham for Art History)
'You definitely achieved the monochrome look Yoko had in the 60s. I even got it before you said. It looks like something John and Yoko would have done. They would've made a minimal piece of work to make the audience think for themselves, rather than forcing something to heavy of a meaning to the viewers. One thing I'd say is that adding maybe a grainy filter would have helped add to the nostalgia and realism.'
Lee S (19 - student of History and French at Manchester)
'I can see why someone would think it is boring but I really liked it. It did drag a bit but the fact that it always looked like something was going to happen made it more interesting. The main part that interested me was thinking that you were going to do something or say something, maybe even start singing. But the fact that we were just left to feel however we wanted to feel about the video, that was pretty good. The visuals fit with the song fantastically, I loved it.'
Jamie F (19 - student of History at Oxford University)
'It looks to a really high standard and quite professional and I think the main reason you were able to achieve that is because you didn't aim to do an awful lot in your video. I think this video is a great example of the whole 'less is more' saying, because I think if you tried to do anything more to it that it could look tacky or really obviously like a project rather than a professional music video.'
Tash M (20 - student of Politics at Sussex)
'This video is really aesthetically pleasing and you did a really good job in making it look similar to Yoko. It would have been a pretty cool idea though if maybe you had a variety of models and said it was maybe linked to like the Beatles' wives at the time because it would've added a little bit of variety to the video and would probably make it easier for someone from a non, like, artsy background to watch. Or maybe subtitles about like thoughts to do with the song, that would've maybe added just a bit more to it.'

Conclusion of findings from focus group
In conclusion, the response for my music video was positive. The only negative response was that it could be perceived as boring, which I expected anyway. Even I manage to find watching it boring, but that is because it isn't meant to be an easy watch.
My focus group is technically a poor representation of what the general public would think of my music video. This is due to the people I asked being of the same age range, same ethnicity, same class background and having the same artistic/cultural interests. However, as my intended audience is artistic young people (young people because they are the main target audience for music videos anyway), I feel like my focus group selection is good and a good representation of what artsy individuals will think of my video.

No comments:

Post a Comment