Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Final Music Video - Explanation and Evaluation

(link if youtube link isn't working: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lns-vBNUDE3PZFsEIuUUmEEyQ5qRYyLc/view?usp=sharing )
Above is my final music video, in which I filmed in one sitting. I cut down 10 minutes of footage down to fit into a five and a half minute video. It is heavily inspired by Andy Warhol's test shots.
My editing process consisted of editing different shots to match the beat of the song. I believe this was successful mostly throughout the video and is definitely evident.
I wanted to follow the lustful vibe The Beatles created with the song originally. Also, I knew the song was already about Yoko Ono, so I went for the similar aesthetic to her most well-known photos.Image result for yoko ono black and whiteImage result for yoko ono
Black and white, minimal and lots of dark hair. I thought I fit this look anyway (having been called Yoko Ono multiple times already anyway), so I thought I'd be best to model in my video. I also thought that it would be easier to just use myself as it would be easier to portray the image I want if I am fully in control of it.
The lighting in the studio I chose to use was butterfly. This was because it allowed more of an emphasis on my face and was the most flattering choice of lighting to use.

Evaluation

I feel like my music video was good. It looks high quality, 'high fashion' and professional, despite having been filmed, edited and completed in a total of four hours. I knew that this wasn't going to be something that would take so long so I knew that if I set aside at least 2 days, I would be able to complete it to the standard I wanted it to be. I didn't set an unrealistic expectation of special effects or over the top editing because I knew I wouldn't be able to achieve it. Production has never been a strong point for me and I wanted to produce a video that still allowed the audience to create their own meaning towards the song, rather than creating my own and forcing the audience to relate to something I have been through but they have not.
Initially, I planned to involve projections in my music video. I then realised I was slightly strapped for time, and that finding and filming footage for the projections would take extra time that I could spend on writing a good evaluation and polishing my research work, so I avoided adding projections to my video. I also felt that, for the final song choice I used, projections were unfitting. Projections would've been more ideal for an upbeat or electronic song (New Order - Fine Time or Aphex Twin - Produk) or for a song I would've put a more narrative based theme to (Kanye West - Runaway).
Making my music video as minimalist as possible can be incredibly powerful, so I feel like it was a good choice. Although it seems dire and maybe like an easy copout, I feel like allowing the audience to think for themselves and create a meaning of a song themselves. The only meaning I brought upon my audience through my video was lust, purely because the song is abundantly about wanting someone. Whether it be wanting someone sexually or in a bad way, the audience is allowed to develop this meaning themselves because both can be applied to the music video I made.
The minimalism could be perceived as boring or lazy to an audience who would prefer a more narrative based music video, as proven by my questionnaire. Though it is subjective, it definitely makes my music video lack in narrative progression. It makes it a bit boring.
The video is intentionally an uncomfortable watch. I did this because, although it may sound incredibly elitist and pretentious, I didn't want to make it too easily accessible to an audience that do not have such a strong understanding and appreciation of art. This links into my focus group with my arts friends, as they all consistently enjoyed it and were able to appreciate it they way I would have wanted it to be. The difficult-watch aspect of the video is also referential to John and Yoko's relationship. It was a strange relationship, in which Yoko was very much the focal point. She suddenly became such a huge part of John's life, and in this video, the dominance of Yoko's image in John's life is made clear by the fact that it is literally just her (me) and nothing else in the video.
My editing was almost perfect, I think. It wasn't as precise as I would've liked for it to have been, but it was pretty much on-beat for the majority of the video. As already stated, editing isn't a strong point of mine so to have even opened up Premiere Pro would be an improvement for me from what I would make before. Aside from cutting, the visual editing was perfect. I wanted the video to be black and white to fit the monochrome minimalistic aesthetic, and I did exactly that. I also managed to include the crossfade at the end for both the video and the audio, as otherwise the song would've ran over seven minutes long which would have ended up dragging a lot. I know my music video could be perceived as boring, dependant on the audience, but to make it last longer than it already does would make it incredibly boring regardless of audience perspective.
One issue I had with the making of my video was the lack of variety in models. Ideally, I would have had multiple girls rather than just myself, but that didn't really work out in the end. It was hard to find other people who fit the 60s minimalist aesthetic and I wanted to save the hassle of telling people to be posey etc, so I just used myself.
Another comment of criticism I will give to myself is that I could have edited blemishes out. This would have made the final piece of work look a lot more polished and professional. I could have either wore makeup (mise-en-scene) or edited it in After Effects or Premiere Pro.

No comments:

Post a Comment