Throughout the year, my
production years have definitely improved. At the start of the year, I
definitely put off choosing the production options for the final pieces of my
units. This was because production hadn’t been my strong point throughout
A-levels, and I was quite reluctant to even try to improve. But, when it got to
the end of the year and I was left without an option of writing an essay, I had
to produce 2 short films.
My level of production skill prior to starting this course was incredibly dire. I was comfortable with the use of Adobe Photoshop, but that was it. I knew the very minimal basics of how to use Premiere Pro, but almost always found myself having to google what to do whenever I used it. I was familiar to using the studio, but I didn’t know so much about how to use the studio lighting. I was also unaware of the health and safety implications. The highest level of production I was able to produce was my photography and Photoshop editing skills, of which can be seen below:
At the time, 2 years ago, I felt
my skills for a first year A level Media student was quite good. But as time
went on and I didn’t progress, it made production this year quite tough. This
was due to the fact that, despite being also an A level Film student, I moved
away from the production options of the course and decided to write essays or
scripts. I didn’t allow myself to develop my skills within filming and
production. And, unfortunately, this course was far more film-production-heavy
than photography.
The first short film
I made this year was my music video for I Want You (She’s So Heavy) by The
Beatles. I was quite lucky that the first film I had to make was a music video,
as I am incredibly passionate about music and the visual aesthetics you can
create with music. Given the creative freedom, I created a video that I thought
that The Beatles would have actually had if they had a music video for this
song. I chose a slow-paced, repetitive song because I didn’t want to force a
narrative onto my audience as I wanted them to be able to create a meaning of
the song for their own experiences.
My visual inspiration
for the music video came from the pictures of Yoko Ono taken from around the
time that Abbey Road came out. They were all black and white, with her long
dark hair being the main focus of the images. I chose her to be my inspiration
because the song, written by her husband John Lennon, is about her. I
definitely think I achieved the visual aesthetic that Yoko Ono had at the time.
I am confident that I achieved this visual aesthetic I was aiming for.
![]() |
| Evidence of my labelling clips |
Another skill that is displayed in this music video is my
use of lighting. I used the correct setup for butterfly lighting, as that was a
common choice of lighting use for close-up photography in the 60s. I also did
this so that the focus could be on my face, and butterfly lighting was the most
flattering way to present it.
With the music video
module, I also made a test/back-up music video, prior to filming the Beatles
one, just in case something went wrong. This was a music video I filmed with my
iPhone in my kitchen at home. Sounds lazy – but I justify it as experimental.
Music videos are often over-produced and I wanted to try something that looked
like a childhood home video. Personal and homely was the aesthetic I was going
for with my backup music video. This music video was recorded in one shot,
which was quite difficult to finally get right, but I got it in the end. The
video consisted of me singing to Bjork’s 1993 house hit Big Time Sensuality. I
chose a song that was so incredibly 90s because it suited to the editing style I
wanted to do. With this particular video, the editing that I decided to use was
completely aesthetic effects. I had to edit it to look like a VHS home video,
which I feel I definitely was able to achieve. I was able to do this by applying
lots of noise, a bit of blur and sharpened the image. I also increased and
decreased the saturation of certain colours, thus further enhancing the VHS
effect.
Outside of Premiere Pro, creating the 90s aesthetic was quite easy. I did this through the mise-en-scene use of my clothing. I specifically chose to wear a Garfield sweater because Garfield items of clothing were so very popular in the 90s in America. Also, my use of an iPhone camera as opposed to a professional DSLR was better I think because the quality of the footage would be too clear.
Outside of Premiere Pro, creating the 90s aesthetic was quite easy. I did this through the mise-en-scene use of my clothing. I specifically chose to wear a Garfield sweater because Garfield items of clothing were so very popular in the 90s in America. Also, my use of an iPhone camera as opposed to a professional DSLR was better I think because the quality of the footage would be too clear.
The editing style I chose to use
during this test music video was actually quite reminiscent of the first piece
of work I produced for A-level media, which was shown in my introduction.
The final unit that I
produced a short film was for the Promotional Video unit. This unit, my video
fell a bit shorter in terms of quality in comparison to the previous videos. I
feel that this was mainly due to my time in hospital during the unit and my sheer
lack of interest in the topic. My interest in the music industry definitely
carried me during the unit prior.
Due to my time in hospital, and
my initial client letting me down making me waste more time, I was unable to
obtain my own footage and I used the footage of my work partner. However, this
footage was quite shaky and not the kind of footage I would have chosen to
shoot myself. But I was strapped for time so I made do with what I had. Due to this, I had to learn how to stabilise my footage.
The editing aspect of this module
was similar to my final music video. I edited to the beat with the royalty-free
song I chose and used a lot of soft transitions. My demographic was those 35
and over, so having a really fast-paced and upbeat commercial wasn’t really my
aim. My client wanted me to have something simple that showcased the club and
focussed on the pool aspect of it, and I think I delivered on that. It
definitely could have been better if I captured my own footage as it would have
been my own work that I would have envisioned myself beforehand and planned
properly. It would also have been better if I didn’t feel so strapped for time
when it came to editing. I wasn't happy with my video, but my client was, and that's all that really matters in this unit.
Prior to this whole course, my
editing skills went as far as applying transitions to videos and cutting clips.
Now, I have learned how to add titles to my videos, how to correctly use audio
transitions, aesthetic editing such as making films black and white or creating
a VHS style effect without a downloaded filter and lots of other tools. I have
certainly improved, become more confident and more time-efficient when it comes
to media production. I no longer feel as though I should stick to writing
essays and essays only as I have proven to myself that I am capable of
producing films that I think are to a good standard, especially my music video.







No comments:
Post a Comment