I believe that the strong points of my essay was my own knowledge, my internal viewpoint and musical knowledge. What I mean by internal viewpoint is that as someone who was raised in Asia and as the child of two people who spent a significant amount of time in Hong Kong during the 80s and 90s, I was able to obtain a more personal viewpoint rather than just reciting sources constantly. With that though also comes a weakness of my essay, that I did not reference as many sources as would have been ideal. But at least a lot of my own knowledge is valid and I was definitely able to show my skills of inferring and understanding symbolism and imagery etc.
Another weakness is that I did not strongly focus on 3 films individually. I focussed heavily on 2 (Chungking Express & Fallen Angels) and lightly on 2 (Days of Being Wild and In The Mood For Love). Focussing heavily on 2 and lightly on the other 2 has the benefits of simply being able to pick parts from other films that are significant without wasting time on analysing them excessively, however it has its negatives as I didn't really explore the final two as much as I could have. My essay could have been longer and may have had more important information if I decided to focus on them more.
A weakness I may have displayed is the fact that I may have rambled on about things that may not have been as significant as I propose. For example, Garfield might not have been a symbol of nihilism, he might have just happened to be the only soft toy in the shop Faye visited. Or maybe the wardrobe choices weren't as deep as I stated them to be.
Another weakness is that I mainly referenced books for my essay. This isn't necessarily actually a weakness but in the sense that I have to display my research on my blog, it is hard to display evidence of research from books.
Regardless, I feel that my essay was definitely quite strong and had a good amount of my own knowledge in it. My only real comment of improvement I would give to myself is to next time base it more off of research and references, rather than my own knowledge.
No comments:
Post a Comment